The RedRover Readers program helps children explore positive relationships between people and animals through stories and discussion. Educators trained in the innovative RedRover Readers curriculum read to students and lead discussions – helping children develop critical thinking skills and increase their level of empathy for people and animals.
Through RedRover Readers, children share information about animals, reflect on the roles of animals in their communities and determine our responsibilities toward them.
The RedRover Readers program aligns with academic content standards in the
How the program works
After attending a RedRover Readers training workshop or self-paced online course, educators use the curriculum designed by RedRover to facilitate storytelling and discussion in their classrooms.
Research findings on RedRover Readers
The RedRover Readers program promotes empathy by presenting powerful stories, encouraging children to put themselves in the place of animals, and asking questions that promote critical thinking. A 2009 pilot study of the program (then known as the Humane Education Ambassador Readers) conducted by Inverness Research, Inc. suggests that the program:
- Builds self-esteem and motivates students to take an important subject seriously
- Stimulates additional student-directed learning
- Builds students’ knowledge and potentially affects their behaviors related to caring for pets
- Builds students’ empathy and compassion for pets
Bring the RedRover Readers program to your community
Community members interested in bringing the RedRover Readers program to local children can use these tools:
- Give the informational flier about the RedRover Readers program to teachers, principals, counselors or other educators
- Make a donation to support RedRover
- Join RedRover Readers on Facebook Causes
Why empathy is the key to a kinder society by Nicole Forsyth
- Television interview with RedRover CEO Nicole Forsyth
Informational flier about the RedRover Readers program (PDF)
- Recommended books with humane themes
- RedRover is a member of the Association of Professional Humane Educators