Together with Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T), RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing grants enable organizations that provide emergency sheltering for victims of domestic violence to create space to house pets of domestic violence victims on-site with their families where little to no pet housing was previously available. Grants are intended to bridge a critical gap in funding to enable the pet housing project to begin. It is expected that the funds will enable the shelter of at least one pet within one year after project completion.
RedRover is partnering with SAF-T to work toward the goal of having one pet-friendly domestic violence shelter in each state by 2015. Shelters in the following states are especially encouraged to apply: Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and West Virginia.
Download RedRover's informational flier to share this information.
Grant program details
Scope: Grants, up to $3,000, are offered throughout the United States on a one-time basis. Approximately six to eight grants are available in 2014.
- Applicants must be recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Applicants must be agencies with a primary mission of sheltering victims of domestic violence.
Before applying for the grant, organizations/agencies should:
- Obtain and read a copy of the Sheltering Animals and Families Together (SAF-T) Start-Up Manual.
- Obtain a written Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a local animal shelter.
- Identify a veterinary clinic or veterinarian partner.
- Ensure that the project meets all relevant animal ordinances and laws.
Ineligible expenditures: RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing grants will not be awarded for off-site boarding or housing, real estate acquisition, general operating costs or salaries.
Application process: Applications for 2014 are due on May 15, 2014 and October 15, 2014. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
Download the RedRover Domestic Violence Safe Housing Grant 2014 application (PDF).