Share this

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Pinterest icon
e-mail icon
Quiz: Is your home free of holiday hazards to pets?

Is your house pet-proof this holiday season? Quiz yourself and learn more!

Which of the following substances could be hazardous to your pets' health?

A. Coffee
B. Mistletoe
C. Ribbons
D. Uncooked yeast dough

The correct answer is ... A, B, C AND D!

ALL of these substances can be harmful to your pet's health if swallowed.  Read RedRover's complete list of the 25 winter-related substances that are most hazardous to pets:

Alcohol
Aluminum foil
Anti-freeze
Avocado
Candles/open flames
Cellophane
Chocolate
Christmas tree water
Coffee
Cooked bones
Electrical cords
Fatty foods
Glass ornaments

Grapes and raisins
Holly berries
Ice-melting chemicals and salt
Lilies 
Macadamia nuts
Mistletoe
Nicotine
Onions
Poinsettias
Ribbons
Tinsel
Uncooked yeast dough

“Items that seem harmless to us can cause serious illness or injury to our pets,” said RedRover President and CEO Nicole Forsyth. “For example, tinsel, ribbons and cellophane wrappers, if swallowed, can create intestinal obstructions that could require surgery to treat.”

Forsyth offered three simple tips for pet-proofing your home this holiday season:

  • Resist the temptation to reward pets with “people food.”Sweets are dangerous for pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and hyperactivity, along with increased thirst, urination and heart rate. Candies containing a sweetener called xylitol are also toxic. Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages and greasy, spicy and fatty foods can cause upset stomachs.
  • Decorate with caution. Tinsel, ribbons, aluminum foil and cellophane can cause intestinal blockages if ingested. Glass ornaments can cause injury and electrical wires can shock animals who chew on them. Cover Christmas tree water with a tree skirt because it may contain fertilizers or bacteria that could make your pets sick if they drink it.
  • Go faux. Since many common plants, like mistletoe, poinsettias, holly berries and lilies can all be toxic to animals, keep these items well out of reach or consider using artificial versions.
  • Keep pets indoors. Low temperatures, wind, rain and snow can lead to illness and death for a pet living outdoors. In addition, water bowls freeze in cold weather. Never leave your pet in a car during cold weather.

“The holidays are a time to relax and enjoy the company of loved ones, both two-legged and four-legged,” said Forsyth. “We want pet owners to exercise caution so they can avoid unnecessary and stressful trips to the veterinarian.”

Spread the word about these important tips by sharing this downloadable flier.